Wednesday, June 30, 2010

That Sinking Feeling (Journal December 23)

Journal,

Mr. Footman has informed me that he believes he is very near ready to test his syrum on me as he has had some success with the last batch. Due to my now severely disrupted sleep-habits (and my habit of taking to the streets in the middle of the night in order to stay awake just a few more hours...) and his, well, he doesn't sleep, we have spent several long evenings in eachother's company discussing his plan for preventing a further outbreak should the experiment go wrong.

Should I turn and Dr. Dayafter's cure not work I will (evidently) be shot in the head, decapitated, dismembered and then burned to white ash. I think perhaps I'll have a will drawn up before the day comes...

I had heard a rumor that Mr. Underby had moved from his home in Clockhaven to a new one in different part of town. I don't think anything Underby did in that home will have caused ghosts to settle in it; however, I couldn't help but feel the draw of curiosity when I discovered they were having Father Moonwall over to exocise the place.

I arrived right as Father Moonwall was leaving (rather abruptly, I gathered) and Miss Elle and Mr. Tenk seemed to want someone to go in. I volunteered, after all, I am rather familiar with the home as a result of Mr. Tenk's capture. Of course, nothing was found. The house was empty save for me and Mr. Footman trudging up the stairs, I saw no ghosts and the only ill-effect I can think of was a rather nasty headache that came on.

Naturally, one cannot do anything in this town without word spreading like wildfire and I was unsurprised to discover that Mr. Underby himself had arrived.

What followed I am not sure I can explain. Mr. Underby began to describe his new home and as he expounded on it's location and various features I felt my heart sink further and further. He is now well out of range of the Old District and ideally placed for one of his particular situation.

I understood the horror I felt, the cold dread seeping into my bones. I had thought his plotting would be over but now I am certain he has only been biding his time.

The most genuinely shocking thing about the entire encounter was Mr. Tenk, though I shall be honest Journal, I cannot tell when it comes to him. Was that blind fury or despair?

~S. MacB.

(posted as transcript by Mr. Tenk)

[20:56] Stargirl Macbain looks up at the house.
[20:56] Mosseveno Tenk: did that seem to end suddenly?
[20:56] Stargirl Macbain: Too suddenly....
[20:56] Elleon Bergamasco: it did.. and he seemed to be.. faltering..
[20:56] Grendel Footman: I was expecting more fire and brimstone
[20:56] Elleon Bergamasco: he was so eloquent, but when he got up to the attic...
[20:56] Mosseveno Tenk: How am i going to rent this house if it scared Moonwall away?!?!?!
[20:56] Stargirl Macbain: Perhaps....Someone should go in and check....
[20:57] Elleon Bergamasco looks at Stargirl
[20:57] Elleon Bergamasco: you don't believe in ghosts..
[20:57] Stargirl Macbain looks at Elleon, "People always believe what I say...it is such a gift."
[20:57] Grendel Footman: I can go take a look inside, just to see if anyting seems out of place
[20:58] Elleon Bergamasco: yes.. but .. carefully..
[20:58] Stargirl Macbain: Or I could....I'm quite familiar with the place.
[20:59] Mosseveno Tenk: please do
[20:59] Stargirl Macbain: O..okay.
[20:59] Mosseveno Tenk: i'll... wait outside.
[20:59] Mosseveno Tenk: heh.
[20:59] Elleon Bergamasco waits here..
[20:59] Grendel Footman: well, to be honest, I kind of want to see what Underby may have left in there
[20:59] Stargirl Macbain: Right-o...three shakes...
[20:59] Mosseveno Tenk smiles sheepishly
[20:59] Elleon Bergamasco goes to stand behind Tenk

[21:00] Stargirl Macbain looks around...
[21:00] Grendel Footman: seems bigger without all his shelves
[21:00] YoYo Underby: What are we looking at?
[21:00] Elleon Bergamasco jumps
[21:00] Elleon Bergamasco: Hello Mr Underby.... er.. just.. em..
[21:00] Stargirl Macbain looks out from the window
[21:00] Mosseveno Tenk: just, ah, getting the house prepped to show
[21:00] Grendel Footman: Helloooooo ghosties!
[21:01] YoYo Underby: Ah, yes. Of course. Mr Footman thinking of renting then?
[21:01] Stargirl Macbain gives a shrug.
[21:01] Elleon Bergamasco: perhaps?
[21:01] Elleon Bergamasco: or a friend of his..
[21:01] Stargirl Macbain: It doesn't seem any more creepy than when he was here....
[21:01] Grendel Footman: looks like Moonwell just spooked himself
[21:01] Stargirl Macbain: This place gives me a headache...
[21:01] Elleon Bergamasco says loudly "Hello Mr Underby"
[21:01] Grendel Footman: makes me itchy
[21:01] YoYo Underby: Hello Miss.
[21:01] Mosseveno Tenk: headache? nonsense. its just the cold.
[21:02] Elleon Bergamasco: it is rather cold.. perhaps it's time for some nice warm rum

[21:02] Grendel Footman: oh, Hello Underby
[21:02] YoYo Underby: Hello.
[21:03] Stargirl Macbain rubs her temples, "Hello Mr Underby."
[21:03] Grendel Footman: well, saw no ghosts
[21:03] Keithen Darkfold: Was there no ghosts?
[21:03] YoYo Underby: Mm, yes.
[21:03] YoYo Underby: Ghosts?
[21:03] Grendel Footman srugs 'didn't see any
[21:03] Elleon Bergamasco: er.. we thought we heard something..
[21:03] Stargirl Macbain: No, no ghosts. A lot of nonsense.
[21:03] YoYo Underby: What nonsense. Dead is dead.
[21:03] Keithen Darkfold: No ghosts? oh, Blast!!
[21:03] Elleon Bergamasco: of course.. how silly
[21:04] Grendel Footman: Moonwell must have spooked himself is all
[21:04] Mosseveno Tenk: Moonwall could do that looking in a mirror...

[21:03] Elleon Bergamasco: have you a new home, Mr Underby?
[21:03] Mosseveno Tenk adjusts his toque and brushes the snow off his knee
[21:03] YoYo Underby: I do, yes.
[21:03] Mosseveno Tenk: Oh?
[21:03] Elleon Bergamasco: ahh , how nice..
[21:03] Mosseveno Tenk narrows his eyes... "Where?"
[21:04] YoYo Underby: I now have quarters at Oldbridge.
[21:04] Mosseveno Tenk coughs
[21:04] Mosseveno Tenk sputters... Oldbridge?
[21:04] YoYo Underby: Yes.
[21:04] Stargirl Macbain: Oldbridge?
[21:04] YoYo Underby smiles.
[21:04] Mosseveno Tenk: you don't mean that house under the bridge?
[21:04] YoYo Underby: I do. Exactly.
[21:05] YoYo Underby: Not touching the soil of Bababge.
[21:05] Stargirl Macbain hides her dismay behind a violent cough.
[21:05] Mosseveno Tenk darkens
[21:05] YoYo Underby: Tidal water running underneath...
[21:05] YoYo Underby: Perfect for my tastes.
[21:05] Grendel Footman: running water?
[21:05] Stargirl Macbain: How lovely for you Mr Underby.
[21:05] Mosseveno Tenk 's face turns red with rage
[21:05] YoYo Underby: Yes, Iron Bay, in fact.
[21:05] YoYo Underby: Something wrong, Mr Tenk?
[21:06] Mosseveno Tenk glares up
[21:06] Mosseveno Tenk: No.
[21:06] Mosseveno Tenk: Of course not.
[21:06] Grendel Footman: I see *looks at Tenk* are you alright? you look a ittle upset
[21:06] Elleon Bergamasco: well.. how lovely for you Mr Underby...
[21:06] YoYo Underby: Yes, you should all come by sometime...
[21:07] YoYo Underby: Complimentary reading.
[21:07] Mosseveno Tenk seethes
[21:07] YoYo Underby: I should take my leave...
[21:07] Stargirl Macbain: Well...I do need my fortune told...solstice just passed...
[21:07] Elleon Bergamasco: er... yes.. certainly..
[21:07] YoYo Underby: Good evening to you all
[21:07] Elleon Bergamasco: Good night Mr Underby
[21:07] YoYo Underby nods
[21:07] Grendel Footman: good evening Underby
[21:07] Stargirl Macbain: Good evening Mr Underby.
[21:07] Keithen Darkfold gets chills

[21:07] Elleon Bergamasco: em... didn't he give notice Tenk?
[21:07] Mosseveno Tenk slams his wrench against the pavers and howls
[21:08] Elleon Bergamasco: or leave with unpaid rent?
[21:08] Stargirl Macbain jumps
[21:08] Keithen Darkfold: Ive been listening to to many ghost stories..
[21:08] Stargirl Macbain: Clockwinder!
[21:08] Mosseveno Tenk: that BASTARD!
[21:08] Keithen Darkfold gasps "Mr Tenk, is somthing troubling you?"
[21:08] Elleon Bergamasco: well.. he's got an apartment he can't rent now... and Underby is paying his coppers to Obolensky.. I would guess..
[21:08] Kit SpiritWeaver sniffs the air warily
[21:09] Mosseveno Tenk yells and throws a hammer at Underby's back
[21:09] Mosseveno Tenk misses
[21:09] YoYo Underby: YIPE
[21:09] Mosseveno Tenk: YOU!
[21:10] YoYo Underby: Mm?
[21:10] Mosseveno Tenk: gah!
[21:10] Mosseveno Tenk winds up to take a swing at Underby and rushes him
[21:10] Mosseveno Tenk stops in mid swing
[21:11] YoYo Underby moves back
[21:11] YoYo Underby: What?
[21:11] YoYo Underby: How dare you.
[21:11] Mosseveno Tenk yells in frustration
[21:11] YoYo Underby: You have no cause for such actions
[21:11] YoYo Underby: You are quite mad.
[21:11] Mosseveno Tenk: what did you do?!
[21:11] YoYo Underby: Do?
[21:11] Mosseveno Tenk makes a snowball
[21:12] YoYo Underby: Do to what?
[21:12] Mosseveno Tenk hurls it at you
[21:12] YoYo Underby is hit in the face
[21:12] YoYo Underby: Mad!

[21:13] Stargirl Macbain: all right?
[21:13] Mosseveno Tenk throws his hammer on the ground and curses in a foreign language
[21:14] Stargirl Macbain assumes an air of calm, "Anything else you'd like to throw?"
[21:14] Mosseveno Tenk glares at the woman.
[21:14] Mosseveno Tenk: Yes.
[21:14] Stargirl Macbain: Do so. you'll feel bettter.
[21:16] Mosseveno Tenk: I need a drink...
[21:17] Stargirl Macbain: Yes. You do.
[21:17] Stargirl Macbain points up the ally.
[21:17] Stargirl Macbain: Don't forget your hammer.

No comments:

Post a Comment