Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Preparing for the Voyage Out

Star signed one last sheet of paper, folded it over and sealed it in an envelope and put it with the stack to be taken with the morning mail, then rolled the door of her desk shut, locked it and started talking at Kaylee, "Okay, I’ll be back Sunday evening, or Monday afternoon at the latest. That’s only if the weather is bad. Ulysses is a fine old bird, but she doesn’t do well in a headwind and I can’t tell what the weather is going to do.” She looked to the west, frowning, “Sky was red this evening, so that’s a good sign…Mr. Pocket, I’m sure, will do a fine job for you.” She cast a glance around the pub, as if looking for something she was missing.

Finding nothing, she turned back to Kaylee, “Should be enough ale for now, I’ve got a large order coming in Monday or Tuesday. Mrs. Underby is supposed to have workers in. Don’t let her workers on this side of the archway, they’ve got no business here of any sort.” She pointed at the archway, the view beyond was obscured by the closed curtains, though a soft tapping of heels and the faint sound of tuneless humming indicated that the woman was in residence.

“She gives me the creeps.” Star muttered.

“Me too,” Kaylee whispered, “Why is she building her bakery here?”

“I…” Star paused, squinting her eyes in thought, “mmm, I can’t explain it. I would have had the old ovens torn out and that room turned into storage, or a damp sort of apartment, but she was…ah, convincing I suppose in arguing for their restoration. That whole conversation is a bit blurry…” she shook her head and swung a short-cape around her shoulders, pinning it at the throat. It was certainly warming toward summer here in New Babbage, but the nights could still be quite bitter, and it was a long walk to the air dock.

She picked up her bag and turned just as a bleary, freshly-woken Mr. String appeared, “Ah! Hullo Mr. String, I have the utmost confidence in your abilities. Do remember what I said, sir,” She lowered her voice and leaned close to him, “Though, of course, if anyone bullies Miss Kaylee in my absence, I give you permission to toss them out on their ear. In fact, I encourage it.”

She started toward the door, paused to straighten a chair and eyed the wood stack next to the fireplace, “The wine isn’t in yet, but there’s plenty of absinthe. I’m sure there’s enough wood in the building, and, ah, I expect the masons will be round to repair those windows upstairs, I gave you extra keys, yes? Bills should all be paid, the last of them are with the mail, do be sure that the courier picks those up in the morning, a lot of creditors are not happy to be doing business with the ‘Plank again and I don’t want anything arriving late. Do you suppose we have enough…..”

“Star!” Kaylee interrupted with a laugh, “You’re only going to be gone three days, I think we can handle this.”

“Right,” Star sighed, “Right, sorry, just anxious.” She pulled the door open, “Oh, Kaylee?”

“Yeah?”

“Try not to burn the place down.”

Kaylee laughed, “No promises. Now go!”

With a final wave Star snapped the door shut behind her, took a deep breath, and started walking toward the air dock.

((I am going on a minibreak holiday with my husband this weekend and will not have access to internet, so will be doing some of those writing projects I’ve been ignoring. Have fun at the ball and Music Appriciation. And, Oh! There’s a new resident at the old Macbain plot in Palisades, do give him a warm welcome! {yes, ladies, quick! Get to him before he joins the New Babbage “Men who don’t dance” club!}))

No comments:

Post a Comment