Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Disaster, Gill & Skyler (Journal November 10)

Journal,

A shock today. I was at the Cocojava having a cup of tea and reading a book (not normally a hazardous thing to do..) when the trolly stopped and Mr Underby got off.

You can imagine that I felt my heart leap into my throat. Disaster! Absolute disaster! He approached me and asked if Miss Writer had been around, I replied that I hadn't seen her and then, oh wouldn't my mother be proud of me, asked him to sit, certain she would be around soon.

I was so relieved I could have fainted on the spot when he said he wouldn't and started to walk away. But then, at the last moment, he turned and looked at me in the most peculiar way, as if trying to remember my name. He didn't say anything.

More unusual was that this evening, braving the chance that I was indeed discovered (but hoping I wasn't!), Mr Underby didn't seem preterbed at all. But he has changed my name, oddly, from Bastet to Sekhmet. What does that mean? I'm sure it's still Egyptian...I shall have to consult the books. Surely one of James's tomes will have the answer, assuming it's in English.

Then of course, much to my surprise (and guilt) Tenk showed up. There is something sad about him, he strikes me as one who is alone, I can understand that feeling. I think, under different circumstances, we might have been friends...no, I must push such thoughts to the back of my mind.

Still...what I heard pass between Tenk and Underby was very curious...perhaps I shall need to spend a day following Tenk What is his part in all this? What is Underby's plan? I must know.

It is peculiar that suddenly Tenk trusts Underby so much, wasn't it just a few days ago that he was considering how best to get rid of him? Why hasn't anyone noticed the change?

Then, of course, as usual, I could hear someone prowling on the roof and went up to investigate. It was that boy, Gill. I only meant to frighten him away, instead he slipped on the shingles and fell to the ground and broke his leg. What if he had been killed?

Then, of course, where Gill is Skyler is sure to follow...I heard him slip from the roof and followed a tall man (was that Augustus?) out the door...Skyler was laying there absolutely still, I felt sure for a moment he was dead. It was terrible...it was like that night all over again. I felt my heart stop in my chest...

Then of course the man prodded him and he screamed (literally) to life. I was so relieved...so relieved...

I suspect that being so close to the old district is wearing me thin. Suddenly I couldn't handle the noise anymore, I hid upstairs in the attic, where Underby was chanting softly.

The worst of course was as Mr Underby left the attic, done with whatever chant he was doing, he leaned down and scratched my ear and told me I had done a good job.

What am I becoming?

I must stay away...I shall go back this evening merely to watch over Skyler, after that I shall be done. I am going to hog-tie Skye and we are going to leave New Babbage.

I don't want to know anymore...

I am tired and sick at heart...

Oh God...what if he had died....


~S.McB (final parts of entry smudged)

No comments:

Post a Comment