Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Strange Dreams (Journal November 11)

Journal,

What a fitful night.

At first I could not sleep at all, I merely laid awake looking up at the shadows on the ceiling.

When I did fall asleep I was plagued by strange dreams.

The worst of which was this:

I had come into a large room I didn't recognize because I heard a noise, like someone was hurt. There was a low cage in one corner and when I approached the Clockwinder was curled up at the back of it. As I looked down at him I realized I was holding a silver key, which I tried on the cage door. It opened it (convenient that I was holding just the right key, but of course, it was a dream) and I helped him out. He seemed disoriented but, after a moment, shot off across the room. I ran after him on impulse only to discover that the room I was standing in was a larger cage, the bars arranged in such a way that he could slip out while I couldn't. As he ran away leaving me behind I called after him and he returned (much to my relief), only instead of helping me out he held out a little package to me. When I took it from him he said simply, "You're problem now," and ran off.

When I opened it all it contained was a single Babbage fiver.

I awoke feeling the same way I had fallen asleep, restless. I can't have been asleep long and my head was throbbing. I found the laudanum that had been given to me earlier in the evening by the Apothecary and took some, I suppose it helped a little.

I began to pack my bags, determined to catch the next train out of New Babbage. But as I was beginning decide what to take and what to leave here until I could return in the spring, I noticed the odd silence in the room.

My clock had run down.

Or rather, I should say, it seemed run-down when it is, in fact, broken.

It must be a sign.

I will get that coin.

I can leave afterwords.

Just a few more days.


S.McB.

No comments:

Post a Comment