Wednesday, June 30, 2010

A Run-In With the Infamous (Journal November 3)

Journal,

I cannot sleep so I've come to you yet again to write down what is on my mind.

I had heard news that Miss Mara had installed stained glass at her new soup kitchen so went to see what they looked like. They are lovely of course.

I got drawn into conversation with the Urchins and Mr. Sixpence, whose eyes seem much better. Skyler was, as usual, causing trouble. That boy really does need a strong hand, that's for certain. Him and Jimmy were getting up to something (shooting his hand off or some-such) and were about to go outside to do just that (or maybe they were trying to shoot his bracelet off, he was wearing one of those magic dampening devises) when Mr Sixpence announced that he could smell Mr. Underby nearby and it might not be a good idea for the boys to go outside.

Naturally the boys were kept indoors and the adults (if I can be counted among them, which, given how the rest of this tale unfolds, is surely doubtful) stood near the doors tensely. I took my hat off (did I leave it at the kitchen? I think perhaps I did...) so I could hear with my better ears and, indeed, one could hear the unmistakable sound of Mr. Underby's voice. We had a few tense moments but they passed when he did.

The boys, of course, rushed outside the moment they were allowed to maim each other (which Mara and I put a stop to) and then Jimmy had the idea of going to go see what Mr. Underby was up to.

I must admit, when other adults are not around I tend to get caught up in the children's enthusiasm and, as a result, I thought this was a capital idea.

Note to self: NOT a capital idea!

Still, off we went, me straining to hear anything which might forewarn us of being caught. It turns out Mr. Underby is setting up shop again in Clockhaven! Sign was out an everything. He's certainly up to something, but what that something is I cannot yet guess at given the brief conversation Jimmy and I heard. Still, it was enough to arouse concern.

Unfortunately, Mr. Underby is very light on his feet so I did not hear him come down the stairs until he said something to the man who was with him. Jimmy was much faster than I could have ever been at getting away (seeing as how he's shorter than the windows...) so I acted as though I was there to have my fortune told when Mr. Underby opened the door to discover me standing beneath his sign.

I do not think for a moment he was fooled, but I kept him chatting a moment while Jimmy slipped into the open door and up the stairs and back down. He is not yet open for business but I should come by on the weekend, when perhaps he will be and bring my friends, then he went back inside.

My knees were shaky with relief when he was out of sight (though obviously not out of mind) and I am certain I heard the slight rasp of his breathing a few times while Jimmy, Skyler and I contemplated what we had seen and heard a few streets over. An odd thing, but I think at one moment when we were all separated and I retraced my steps to gather up Skyer I came across him talking into a doorway. I did not hear much, but afterwords he was acting strangely quiet.

I am certain it is paranoia, but I felt as though Underby was watching me, even after we had left the block with his shop.

I am starting to sound like Tenk now, perhaps we should start a club.

I really do need some sleep.

~S.McB.

No comments:

Post a Comment