Wednesday, June 30, 2010

A New Roomate (Journal February 19)

Journal,

I am unsure how to write here what has happened over the last few days, but I shall do my best.

I believe it begins with me suggesting to Miss Kaylee Frye that I wanted to learn to do a little work around the house. She was quick to break out a whip and start taunting me to build faster show her support and has assisted me as I laid brick, worked metal and re-papered walls. Needless to say we have become fast friends.

I realize the nature of our friendship would change rapidly if she ever discovered my little talent, especially given her phobias. I can only hope to keep it hidden from her as effortlessly as I've kept it hidden from the rest of the town.

Even Dr. Dayafter doesn't know about my other face.

For one thing the crow-that-was-not-a-crow has escaped from his prison. Oh yes, dear Journal, just when we were convinced of our own safety, Mr. Underby comes seeping out of the woodwork like a fungus.

Kaylee and I heard of it first when we went to the Gangplank for a pint together after a long day of laying around the house pestering one another work. Young Mr. Skute mentioned that he had seen Mr. Underby only hours before and as soon as we were certain that he was certain that he had seen that old spook Kaylee took off to find Mr. Tenk. Naturally, I followed her.

Our worst fears were confirmed when we went up to Mr. Tenk's and discovered the cage, torn apart as if pushed open from the inside. Kaylee....did not react well. She kept insisting that she needed to go find someplace to hide, but I couldn't stand the idea of her cowering in some dark hole somewhere, so I insisted that she put a bed up for herself in the attic, which we did.

I am hoping, of course, that Mr. Underby would be unlikely to retaliate toward her if she is around other people. Safety in numbers, if you will.

As has become the habit at Macbain house people began to gather in my living room as evening approached. It was the usual suspects and I could see Kaylee starting to forget her worries and let mine slip away too. With Tinus, Gus, Victor and Tenk in the room it's hard to imagine that anything bad will happen, I mean, the force of Gus's ego alone should repulse any attacks.......

That was, of course, when Mr. Underby came knocking.

He claimed he was looking for Pip (Honestly, how idiotic does that man think I am? Pip is his servant! As if he doesn't know where the poor little thing is at all times...). Not wanting to allow the man in my house I stepped out onto the front walk and kept myself between him and the door. To my surprise Gus came out and stood just behind me, his had pressing reassuringly against my back for just a moment, which was a touch distracting...

So I don't remember much of what Mr. Underby said, except that just before he left he gave myself and Dr. Dayafter a very peculiar look.

We are not afraid, dear journal.

Tinus slipped out and went after Mr. Underby, saying there was something he needed to talk to him about. For whatever reason Mr. Underby had slipped round the side of the house to stand just behind the garden wall by my bedroom, so I slipped in and pushed open the window to listen to their conversation.

I must have a talk with Tinus before Mr. Underby draws him in and he is lost to us.

At last it seemed Mr. Underby had left and Mr. Tenk took his own leave. Victor, Gus, Kaylee and I were discussing...something, I forget what, when we heard a commotion in the garden. I went to have a look and discovered Stormy and Tenk, they had seen a snake of some sort.

Seems a bit early for them, but, ah well. A moment later we were joined by Vic and Gus, leaving Kaylee alone in the house.

Which, evidently, is when Mr. Underby snuck in and had some words with her before sneaking out again.

When I found her she was huddled in the corner hugging her knees, poor dear. I'd never thought to bother to lock the doors, but I shall have to now. Also, perhaps, some other forms of protection should be put into place.

Though I am loathe to put myself into his debt again, I may have to write to my brother. I suppose the freedom was sweet while it lasted.

Dr. Dayafter kindly offered to stay the night with us so we wouldn't be alone, and we took him up on it. I insisted that Kaylee take my bedroom and that I would sleep in the attic, figuring that she would feel much safer in a room with a door that locked and had multiple exits. I set the Doctor up with blankets in the living room and made sure there were plenty of logs on hand to keep the room warm.

One thing that I am wavering on, dear journal: I had said to Gus, Kaylee and (Gods forgive my stupid self) Tenk that I thought the next logical step was to strike at Mr. Underby before he could strike at us, meaning that I would try to take Pip from him. But some part of me is fighting the idea. If it were ever discovered by any of the Guild members, even by my brother, that I had done such a thing the punishment would be death.

Or worse, far worse.

I am not certain it is a risk I am willing to take.

I should wrap this up and go to market, nearly supper time.

~S. MacB.

No comments:

Post a Comment