Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Talent Shows and Offers Best Not Made (Journal December 12)

Dear Journal,

My, how long has it been since I put pen to paper? I simply cannot remember, but I am certain I have been lax.

Today, a marvelous little talent show put on by Mr. Undertone. I am glad that Skyler was exhonerated as it meant I could attend the event without fear of arrest for harboring a criminal. Though there were only two acts, both were superb. Young Crispen won the crowd over with his talent on the violin. And there was a gentleman (whose name, I'm afraid, now escapes me as I write this) who juggled knives! It did look terribly dangerous and I'm afraid my heart was in my throat as the blades whirled around in the air.

I haven't the faintest clue how he didn't cut his hand off. I have heard tell that he performs for the carnival, I can only imagine that the rest of the show must be enough to make a lady go faint with fear!

I have finally seen a little of Grendel as he stopped into Babbage, I assume, to resupply before heading back off on whatever duty he is on. Something to do with experiments I'm sure I know nothing about. I have offered to allow him to test his syrum on me as my unusual talents may have some baring on the outcome of such a test. However there are a great deal of preparations to be made before such a test can be carried out so I have plenty of time to prepare myself for what might be a painful and grisly death.

Christmas is fast approaching and, it should be noted, there is not a shred of tinsel to be found in my home. I enjoy seeing others prepare for the upcoming festivities but, I'm afraid I myself cannot bear the idea of one stocking hanging by the fireplace where once there were three. But, fear not dear journal, I am keeping up all the proper appearances of Christmas joy.

Went to a pub with Dr. Dayafter to hear tales be told. Mr. Underby, as you might imagine, told an uplifting tale about kittens defeating evil...or rather, he told grim stories about the Mad Monk, which set the mood for the rest of the evening. I was quite chilled by it all, does no one have a happy tale in this town? I may have been particularly unkind to Dr. Dayafter at one point...but I couldn't help it. That man does provoke me so!

I must away again, I hear someone knocking on the door.

~S.MacB.

No comments:

Post a Comment