Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Refueling (Journal Entry April 14)

Dear Journal,

I'm afraid i've not written much in the wake of the "Underby Incident" as I'm starting to think of it as.

You'll have to forgive me.

Spring is always terribly busy for me. For one thing it means de-mothballing Ulysses and making contacts with my summer employers. This year the Ulysses required more work than usual. The hard winter had driven mice into her and it made a royal mess of the wires. Fortunately I know my ship like I know my favorite pair of shoes, so I managed to get it all repaired in good time.

What was amusing was how little the shipyard workers trusted me to be doing the work. I have, it turns out, managed to maintain exactly the reputation I was hoping to have. Granted, dockside tongues wag like no others, so I expect some of the veneer to wear off as a result.

But there is no stopping it if it happens, and I cannot worry about it. Fortunately very few actually look at me very closely so they are unlikely to notice the grease which has gotten stuck beneath my fingernails. Even the Clockwinder has scarcely been around and my roommate is quite busy on her own various projects.

I went on the first deliveries this weekend, all were quite successful. Daniel says he is setting aside some delicate matters for me to handle. I'm quite looking forward to the work.

Well, I've finished my tea so I'd best get on my way again.

~S.MacB.

No comments:

Post a Comment