Wednesday, June 30, 2010

The Return of Underby and Other Rather Exciting Things (Journal Entry November 1)

Dear Journal,

What a mad week this has been.

I found the murdered body of a murderer (I know, that is rather confusing, isn't it?).

I had some very surreal conversations with the Clockwinder...I was (justifiably it turns out)
worried for his safety.

Mr. Underby has returned from the grave (or was he never dead to begin with?)

And to top it all off Mr. Footman left for the weekend and left me in charge!

Granted, that last wasn't too bad. The Pengi are quite cute, and rather snuggly when
they aren't trying to murder you for looking vaguely suspicious. Miss Gizzzy keeps to herself mostly. I did only end up with one slightly singed skirt and I really did hardly touch anything...

It did make me wonder: Why on earth leave me in charge? I'm practically a walking bad omen! Maybe he was hoping for trouble. Still...everything did go smoothly. I was happy, however, to find he had returned late this evening.

The Clockwinder, I hope, was carried safely by his train to his relatives home. I must admit, however, that I heard a snippit of conversation between the Clockwinder and Mr Underby which I am still trying to make heads-or-tails of. I will not write it here, except to say that it has left me perhaps even more disturbed than the initial events.

As to the return of Mr Underby, Well! I had followed the Medium along with some friends but lost track of her briefly in the fog and (can anyone conceive of it on November the 1st!) snow. Still, I was close enough to hear Mara scream and rush on to hear the Medium gibbering away. The rest was chaos, the Clockwinder left on the train, Mr Underby appeared and turned into a raven (and I missed him when I jumped for him! drat!).

Still..I am not sure what I would have done if I'd caught him. The quiet Underby I met once was not the cold, calculated anger I heard today. Was he evil before he was murdered or as a result of the murder? Am i simply a soft heart that wishes to think the best of people? I am not sure...it is insane, but I do wish to speak to the man.

Though, to be honest, I was so paralized by my mixed feelings that when I did come across him long after the sun had set, I didn't have the courage to ask him a thing.

To top the evening off I had a rather interesting conversation with the shadowy and mysterious Mr. Reed Darkstone. For a change he was rather chatty and I was the quite one. He pointed this out, at the time I didn't think anything of it but now...

Perhaps I need more sleep.

Ta,

~S.M.

No comments:

Post a Comment