Wednesday, June 30, 2010

A Reply to Mara

Dear Mara,

What a joy to receive your package and discover you are in such high spirits! I think a little wood lore certainly won't do the Urchins any harm and, actually, will probably do them some good. I've found what little I was taught has come in quite handy in the past.

I do appreciate your help in my little endevour. For now I am practicing that ill-used human ability: patience. I do realize you fae have it down quite "pat" (as I believe the Americans say) but it is difficult for me. I am reluctant to move forward too hastily for several reasons.

For one, I am still lodging at Mr. Mornington's place and I would hate to bring trouble down upon his house (so to speak). Also, with the precautions he himself has taken, I feel as though I am sniping while hiding behind his skirt. I do believe I am going to look for a small row-house, though I will certainly miss the easy, late-night access to the Cocojava.

For another, I am not sure it is the right time. But, then, is there ever a right time? Is it the mortal in me that wants to know the answer to the puzzle before she begins to play?

As to your, ah, oath-breaker, I am certain I haven't the faintest Idea what you are talking about, but I'll happily let you enlighten me when you see me next. Did I mention that the good Doctor is up to something? I always suspect that man has ways of reading the mail...

I am planning to visit on the 27th, assuming nothing holds me up otherwise. I look forward to some of your famous cooking! Babbage has been less tasty without you (am I the only person in the city who cannot sustain themselves on wiggyfish alone?), and I am sorry to report that the state of affairs has gotten so dire that it has even been suggested that *I* start taking in the urchins.

What a mess that would be, don't you think? I do tend to be rather short with them. Frankly, I don't know how you do it!

With Affection,
~Star

P.S. In honor of the future edification of the urchins on the soot-less world, I am including a book from my husband's collection on medicinal mushrooms, some of which, I have been told, make an excellent moonshine.

No comments:

Post a Comment