Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Mr Footman (Journal November 12, evening)

Journal,

I must say I am feeling much better this evening. That headache is nearly completely gone.

Also, I finally saw Grendel long enough to give him a proper report and to ask him about the Pengi that has taken up residence outside of my room at the Brunel. The thing is quite darling, but they do tend to take their jobs a little too seriously. I had to argue with the thing for ten minutes before it let me leave the building!

Anyway, Grendel now knows most of what I know.

The shocking thing is that instead of leaping to his feet and shouting something heroic like, "Eegads! We must save the Clockwinder!" and then striking a hands-on-hips, chin to the sky pose before dashing off to save the day, he instead quizzed me about that odd thing Mr Underby did the other day (which I refer to as 'the unusual day Underby acknowledged his cat'). Then declared that we must get that little fur-sample out of Underby's house.

I admit, journal, I tried to discourage him from it.

I told him it was idiotic, that it would only arouse further suspicion.

But, instead of seeing reason, he decided that that meant that I should leave New Babbage completely!

Fortunately I talked him down, but all that meant was he was genuinely set on getting into Underby's house.

So, of course, I kept watch.

And, given the way this week has been going, of course moments after Grendel had dissapeared into the house, Underby came. There was no subtle way to alert him, so instead I just started howling like I wanted in the door.

It must have worked, I believe he was standing in the parlor with Underby walked in.

He played it off far cooler than I would have ever given him credit for.

He claimed he was there for fortune telling.

I couldn't tell if Underby bought it or not.

The whole escapade was idiotic.

But the hair is gone now (Grendel incinerated it) and I have promised to stay out of Underby's house.

Now if only I could convince him that the Pengi is overkill.

Must go, something is distracting me.

~S.MacB.

No comments:

Post a Comment